Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Right and Responsibility


Election Day. After all of the debates, tiring ads, voting campaigns, and primaries, the time has come for Americans to vote. Tomorrow, a President will be elected to govern our nation for at least four years. Senators will be put into office to decide what laws will and won't be passed. Officials on the local level will be placed in office to decide state and county matters. You may ask yourself the question, "Where does my one vote fit in in the big picture?" "Does my vote really matter?"

The answer is a resounding, "YES!" Should  you vote? YES! Does it really count? YES! Why?

First, by voting, you are exercising your right as an American citizen.

  - A right that was paid for by the blood of so many who fought for the freedom of our nation. From the War for Independence all the way to our current wars in the Middle East, brave men and women have died, knowing that their sacrifice paved or preserved the way of American freedom. I recently watched a news report that interviewed different citizens, asking them who they would vote for. Of course, the media showed a voter for Romney and a voter for Obama, but the third interviewee caught me off guard. In a very nonchalant manner, the man simply said, "Oh, I don't vote."  YOU DON'T VOTE????? He didn't give a reason, just a simple shrug of the shoulders. It is simply not in my ability to comprehend why a person would not want to exercise their right to vote. So to an individual like this, I simply say, "You give up your right to complain if you give up your right to vote."

I believe that voting is not just a right as an American, it is a responsibility I have as a Christian.

 As a Christian, I must not just vote for the candidate with the most logical platform or the candidate who has the most charisma, but I must vote my faith. There are many issues at stake in this election, but some issues are just non-negotiable. Which issues you ask?

* Life - 

The value of life. Instead of valuing the sanctity of life, our government has shifted to valuing the quality of life. As a Christian, I MUST vote for the candidate who values the sanctity of life - This is biblical. A government that only values the quality of life will quickly gain the power to determine who lives and who dies. A candidate who is for the killing of the innocent and defenseless will NOT receive my vote.

* Nation of Israel - 

It's simple. God promised a long time ago in the Abrahamic Covenant to bless those that bless Israel and curse those that curse Israel. I want to vote for a candidate that is on Israel's side. 

*Marriage - 

an institute established by God as a relationship between one man and one woman for one lifetime. A candidate that seeks to re-write the biblical definition of marriage should not get my vote as a Christian. 

* Religious Liberty - 

We live in an America that is slowly but surely trying to force Christians to become silent in their beliefs. Why? Because a sinful society does not want to accept biblical authority. I do not want my children to grow up in an America where biblical churches are forced to shut down or even where individuals are arrested for claiming to be Christians. Don't think this is possible? All it takes is a majority of anti-Christian leaders with power and charisma. 

Now, I understand that neither party or candidate aligns perfectly with the Bible or biblical values. However, I like the way one of my favorite preachers said it, "When two candidates are running in the wrong direction, vote for the one who is running slower!" I'll do just that and pray for God to raise up a more godly leader in the next election. 

I've already committed to trust the Lord and understand that He is in control and working out His plan. I can't see the big picture, but I can vote what I know is right. I pray that you will do the same as you head to the polls tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment