Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday Tune-Up: Paper Trail

Whew! I just completed my annual "organize the files" day. I went through all of our paper statements, bills, receipts, and other similar junk, throwing out the old and organizing the new. I keep all my paper for a year, and other important documents for three years. Usually, I tend to just let the paper pile up during the year, so when January comes around, it's time to shred anything over a year old.

Need to clean out yourself? Here's a few tips:

1) Do not keep what you do not need.

Simple enough right? MmmmHmmm. Until you start going through papers and want to get sentimental - then, you start to try to hang on to papers that it makes absolutely no sense to keep. Just throw it away!

2) Shred it!

Anything with important information that is.

3) Organize according to date.

Keep everything in date order. This makes it easy to find if you need to pull it quickly.

4) Organize according to subject.

I have individual file folders for each specific document, but my hanging folders are divided into subjects. For instance, one of my hanging folders is labeled "Credit Cards" which contains individual file folders of all of my separate credit card accounts.

5) Maintain Easy Access.

Keep your files in a place that you can easily access when new statements come in. If not, you'll most likely end up with a stockpile of everything together - Of course you did have good intentions of filing them before they collected into that intimidating mound.


On a side note, how are those organization goals coming?

I've got pics of my closet makeover coming later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment